Sunday, March 13, 2011

Mount Pisgah

is the name of the school I'm teaching at. During my phone interview I was told that the school was on a mountain, but really it's more like a hill.

So, we arrived on a Sunday at 2am, tired from our flight, and went to bed ASAP because I had training at 11am that same day. Sounds brutal, but it wasn't as bad as it sounds. I called someone named Scott (using the building security guy's phone) who was to pick me up and drive me to the school. I had no idea who Scott was and no one bothered to tell me who he was, so I just had to trust that this guy was going to take me to the school as promised and not do anything like kill me. Dennis got up with me because he wanted to make sure I was okay and ran errands while I was training. Scott picked me up and I found out he was the head of the after school program, went to high school and university in the States (his English was perfect, accent American), and is married with a 3-month old baby boy.

We picked up one of the other new teachers that just got hired, Kansas Allison, and went on our way. Once at the school (about a 20 minute car ride from my apartment) it was all rush, rush, rush for Scott. But for Allison and I, we pretty much sat there checking our email and Facebook for an hour and a half. Oh, and the school was an absolute mess!! Boxes, paper, piles of crap just everywhere! I was shocked because the first day of the new school year was starting the day after next.

Scott finally got his stuff together and "trained" us on how the after school/elementary program worked and gave us a super confusing schedule and even more confusing monthly lesson plan/homework plan. After all his explaining I still had no idea what to do. But I just let it go because from my experience before, you just nod your head and then figure it out later on by asking the other foreign teachers. After Scott's explaining came Ellie's "training". She's our Vice-President. She was supposed to train before Scott, but she came really late. She taught me how the kindergarten/morning program works. Again, I nodded and told her I understood what she was talking about. Then she got up, apologized and left for the day. Apparently she had a date. Haha.

After 4 hours of "training" Scott and our President, Mr. Kim (there's about a billion Mr. Kim's here) brought us to a Chinese Restaurant for some Korean style Chinese food. It was quite yummy. I wanted to take a picture of the food, but I didn't want to embarrass myself during my first day of meeting Scott and Mr. Kim.

I got back to our apartment at around 5:30 and was greeted with a huge hug. Our first day back in Korea. It's pretty crazy that we're doing this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment