Tuesday, May 17, 2011

thanks.... you're welcome

May 15th was Teacher's Day here. Since it was a Sunday, we got gifts on the Thursday and Friday beforehand. And for the ones who forgot, we also got gifts on the Monday following. Before coming here, I was really looking forward to Teacher's Day because I knew we were moving to the wealthiest neighbourhood in Korea, so obviously we'd be getting insanely expensive gifts! However, the Korean government managed to pop my hopeful bubble. Apparently, because of a few recent bribery cases the government sent out letters to all schools telling owners not to allow parents to give teachers cash, gift certificates, or expensive gifts.

Last year, one of my co-workers told me that she got $600 worth of gift certificates! And one of the ex-staff members at Dennis' school was given $1000 cash! But his boss didn't let him keep it. I think the cash was returned to the parents. At least, I hope it was returned and not pocketed by the hagwon owner! I've also heard of teachers getting hundred dollar to thousand dollar designer purses. Crazy. But nooooooo... the year that I come is the year they crack down on the gift giving. I'm not complaining. Really, I'm just sad that I missed out. Don't get me wrong, I still received gifts, just not extravagant, over-the-top, expensive gifts that you'd expect from parents living in our area. Oh well, there's always Christmas and graduation! Keep your fingers crossed for me ;)

Here's what I got:


L'Occitane "velvet" hand cream... Oooooooo

Assorted rice cakes (a big box for all teachers, from one set of class parents)

Potted ribbon flower, which is actually a pen!

Beginner's calligraphy pen from Germany

This is from Kelly, not to Kelly. Apparently this 7-year old has her own name stickers

Mary Kay sunblock



Bag of mini Snickers, Korean red ginseng, and Bvlgari perfume

Korean red ginseng. Good for increasing brain power and libido!

Bvlgari Omnia Green Jade eau de toilette

Cake box!

Sweet potato, vanilla, blueberry, chocolate, and strawberry!

No comments:

Post a Comment