Sunday, July 10, 2011

Happy North America (minus Mexico) Day BBQ

Last Saturday, Mariko and Brandon (Dennis' co-workers) invited people over to have a joint Canada Day and July 4th celebration BBQ on their rooftop.


The Friday night before the BBQ, Mariko and I went over to Heather's apartment (another co-worker of Dennis') to make baked goods for the BBQ. Heather and her husband, Luke, live in building B of our three-building apartment complex (Dennis and I live in building C). The boys went over to Mariko and Brandon's apartment over in Seohyeon station, a couple stations away from us, for another poker night.

Heather and Mariko made a six layer rainbow cake for the BBQ and red, white, and blue July 4th cupcakes for their kindergarten students. Oh, and they were nice enough to make Canada Day cupcakes for their 2 Canadian co-workers (Dennis and Jerry). I made Dennis' infamous chocolate chip banana bread muffins. Dennis brought our oven over to Heather and Luke's because they don't have one. It held up very well through our 4 hours of non-stop baking.




I really thought I screwed up the banana muffins, but apparently they were quite good. I'm not much of a chef or baker, I leave that to Dennis, but I felt like a moron going over to Heather's while she and Mariko baked and I did nothing but play with their dog, Rusty. So I decided to suck it up and try to make the muffins. I didn't follow the recipe completely correctly, but they managed to turn out well despite my screw ups. Phewf!

I had to leave early because I was coming down with a cold. A few of my students were sick and of course I managed to get slimed. And by leaving early, I mean 2am. Heather and Mariko were baking until 3:30am!

The BBQ was a good time. It was warm and humid out, but not unbearable. On the menu: costco hot dogs and hamburgers, Mariko's pasta salad and grilled veggies, spinach salad made by John (a friend of theirs), 6-layer rainbow cake, my mini chocolate chip banana muffins, and yummy cheese spread on crackers that I brought last minute. My only complaint was with John's spinach salad. My portion had a big, fat live caterpillar in it. A few minutes later Brandon found a second caterpillar in the serving bowl. Yick!






After the BBQ, a few left and the rest went into Mariko and Brandon's apartment to play a new board game that Luke introduced us to, Settler's of Catan. Not my kind of game, but it was interesting. Dennis and I had to end the night after the first game because I was still feeling under the weather.





No comments:

Post a Comment