Sunday, July 17, 2011

migraines & monsoon rain

It's monsoon season here, which of course means rain, rain, rain and more rain... mixed with humidity. I thought I needed rain boots here, but really, it rains so much and it's so warm that wearing flip flops are the most logical things to have on your feet. With boots, you don't want to wear socks because it's so warm and it rains so much and so hard that you end up getting water in the boots. With flip flops, sure your feet get wet, but it's not cold so your feet don't freeze. When you get in the house you just need a towel to dry your feet.

Now, with the humidity index so high, which means hot and sticky, you have the air conditioner constantly on and off. On when it's so humid and hard to breathe and off when it gets too cold. So both at home and at work I'm constantly hot and then cold, back to hot and then back to cold and so on and so forth. Not to mention that I haven't been drinking enough water to compensate for the dehydration that occurs in my body when the air conditioner is on. I think this combination of factors is what triggered my 4-day long migraine. I had to take one afternoon off from work to go to the doctor because it got so unbearable. The intense throbbing, nausea, loss of appetite, and general loss of interest in anything that wasn't sleep.

I thought it may have been the start of another sinus infection, but at the doctor's office he probed my sinuses with the endoscope and found nothing going on. Oh god, he stuck the camera so far down and so far up I thought I was going to vomit all over him. It was such a horribly uncomfortable feeling! Before the endoscope probing, he took super long tweezers and stuck this cottony material dipped in some liquid super deep inside both nostrils, it was horrible! And I had to sit for 5 minutes in the waiting room with this stuff stuck up my nose. I kept trying to make Dennis look inside my nose to see if he could see them, but he refused to look. Haha! When the doctor finally took them out and started using the endoscope, my tear ducts immediately acted up and I starting tearing up so much the nurse gave me kleenex.

Oh yeah, I also had Dennis clean out our air conditioner filter to see if we had mold or anything which may also be contributing to my ailments. The state that our filter was in was just disgusting. I don't think it has ever been cleaned since it's existence. The thing was solid black! I don't know how any air got through it at all. But thank goodness that's cleaned out. I also cleaned our electric fan because that was getting disgusting fast, too.

So, lately I've been feeling not quite so great.

Side note: the day after my doctor visit, Dennis found this article about "air conditioningitis" in the Korea Herald.

No comments:

Post a Comment